When transitioning from female to male, it's important to consider your facial features and how they can be altered or enhanced to appear more masculine. Facial masculinization surgery (FMS) is a custom set of facial procedures that help to change your overall appearance into what you want. Triple board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Richard Chaffoo helps San Diego area patients decide, which facial surgeries will have the most impact such as rhinoplasty to sculpt the nose to provide a strong, straight shape or eyelid surgery to create a smaller, more masculine eye shape. Some of the facial masculinization surgeries offered at La Jolla Plastic Surgery include:
- Adam’s apple surgery (thyroid cartilage enhancement)
- Cheek implants (augmentation)
- Chin recontouring (mentoplasty)
- Forehead augmentation and lengthening
- Jaw contouring and reshaping
- Rhinoplasty (nose augmentation and reshaping)
"I truly had the best experience with La Jolla Skin! I was referred here by a friend who received micro needling and raved about how amazing her skin looked and felt after. This friend of mine recently moved to La Jolla from Beverly Hills and is definitely picky when it comes to all things beauty, so I completely trusted her recommendation. I had been wanting to do something more than just your standard facial to help the texture and appearance of my skin... acne scarring, pigmentation from the sun, large pores. I called to schedule my appointment and spoke with Jennifer who was SO sweet and helpful. When I went in for my appointment I have to admit I was a little nervous, but after consulting with Tracy I felt much more at ease. Nancy was the RN that preformed the micro needling and she too was amazing! She calmed my nerves and was just so so great. After having numbing cream on 30 mins prior to the micro needling I literally felt no pain or discomfort during the service. The machine is loud which sounds scary, but honestly it's nothing. My experience here was so wonderful and I look forward to continuing treatments with them. Highly recommend!!"- S.B. / Yelp / Sep 26, 2016
"Dr. Chaffoo is a great surgeon and is kind, gentle, experienced and has a great bedside manner. His staff (Nancy and Tracy) are equally as attentive and thorough. I felt safe and confident. I had my breast implants removed and a lift and a fat transfer to balance them. He did a great job. I am very happy with the results. I would recommend him to anyone."- S.E. / Yelp / Jul 25, 2017
"I just love coming here! Everyone that works here is not only extremely talented, but also very kind and welcoming. I've had microneedling, cool sculpting, vbeam, and a hydrafacial....I'm beyond happy with the results from each of these procedures! This whole team really takes time to listen to all of your questions and concerns, and patiently responds to each and every one. I've never felt like I was left feeling confused about anything, or that I had wasted my money on a service. I'm a client for life! Thank you all for being so awesome, I'd give you 6 stars if I could!"- N.R. / Yelp / Jul 17, 2017
"Very Natural Breast Augmentation, Wonderful Experience - Dr. Chaffoo is the utmost professional. I had a great experience with him from the start to finish of my surgery process, and continue to have a good experience. He is very attentive and caring, and I ended up with fabulous results from my surgery. I also appreciate that Dr. Chaffoo has me come in once per year for a check up, which gives me added peace of mind."- K. / RealSelf / Jul 11, 2017
"I went to La Jolla Plastic Surgery for Coolsculpting. It was a new experience for me but Dr. Chaffoo and his assistant Robert walked me through it and made sure I was comfortable through it all. I have already recommended them to several friends and I'm sure I'll be back soon. Thanks!"- D.A. / Yelp / Jun 22, 2017
- Adam’s apple surgery: also known as thyroid cartilage enhancement, Dr. Chaffoo will use an implant or cartilage transplant to the front of the vocal cord to create the appearance of an Adam’s apple in the throat
- Cheek augmentation: to make the cheeks more angled and less round, Dr. Chaffoo will place cheek implants that are sized and shaped to give the patient a more masculine midface shape
- Chin recontouring: to make the chin longer and more square, the chin can be altered without an implant (genioplasty or mentoplasty) or an implant can be used to strengthen the chin
- Forehead lengthening and augmentation: for a more prominent brow and longer forehead, Dr. Chaffoo can use an implant to create a strong brow ridge and a brow lift to lengthen the forehead
- Jaw contouring: the male jaw is typically wider and has sharper angles than the female jaw, so Dr. Chaffoo may reshape the jawbone or use implants to reshape the jaw
- Rhinoplasty: for a more masculine nose, Dr. Chaffoo will augment and reshape the nose to increase the width and projection of the nose while keeping it in proportion to the rest of the face
Facial masculinization surgery is typically performed under general anesthesia in an accredited surgical facility as an inpatient or outpatient surgery, depending on the procedure or procedures being performed. If multiple procedures are being performed, Dr. Chaffoo may group them into multiple surgeries for patient safety and best results. Dr. Chaffoo will make minimal incisions in the least visible place to prevent highly visible scars. After the surgery, Dr. Chaffoo or his staff will go over recovery instructions, including how long to rest, the healing process, normal side effects, what to watch for, scar care, and tips for a faster recovery.
Plan Your Procedure
- Recovery Time
- Average Procedure Time
- Post-op Follow-up
- Procedure Recovery Location
- Inpatient or Outpatient
The male skull is larger than the female skull, which cannot be changed surgically, but facial masculinization can be used to make the face more angular and appear larger. Each patient will have different needs, but the general goal of facial masculinization surgery is to make the face appear larger, longer, and more angular. Dr. Chaffoo will help each patient understand the procedures that will give them maximum impact and their best results.
To further enhance the face, BOTOX® can be used to lower and flatten the brow bone which will make the eyebrows more masculine. Hair-restoration surgery can also be used to create facial hair. Injectable dermal fillers, like Juvéderm® or Restylane® can be used to show the patient how facial implants will help before they commit to augmentation surgery.
Many patients use hormone therapy to increase their testosterone production, which will lead to more masculine facial features, but facial masculinization surgery can customize the features to fit the patient’s needs and goals. FMS can greatly improve the patient’s self-esteem and confidence, as well as their appearance.